Clyde-Sider Journey - Part Nine

Welcome to Part Nine of my Clyde-Sider series.

I have (mostly) written these posts as I have done the various media days, training days and shifts (or a day or two after).  I hope you enjoy the tales of my time volunteering for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games!!

I was off all day on the 30th as I had athletics tickets for the morning session with Hannah - the only tickets I had won from the ticketing ballot.  I also managed to get a ticket for the evening session from Martin as his friend couldn't make it from London and was selling his two tickets.  Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone to go with, but I wasn't going to miss it just for that reason!!

In the morning, we saw:
Men's 200m Round 1
Women's Long Jump Qualifying
Men's Discus Qualifying
Women's High Jump Qualifying
Men's 400m Hurdles Round 1
Women's Heptathlon Long Jump
Women's 800m Round 1

Katherine & Lindsay!! (taken by Lindsay!)
Hannah & I!

It was great to see such a mix of events and I saw Christabel Nettey qualify for the long jump finals! Katherine & Lindsay were also at the morning session, although we didn't see them, they sent us a picture of them enjoying the athletics, and we sent them one back (above!).  Afterwards, I headed back in to Glasgow in order to get some food and pass some time before heading back for the evening session.  I had chilli cheese bites...YUM, haha.  I also bumped in to an old school friend and had a nice wee catch up on Sauchiehall St!  In no time at all, it was time to head to Central Station and get in the queue for the train to Mount Florida.

I had a very similar seat for the evening session as I did in the morning, on the bend, not toooooo far back.  On my way back from the toilet I bumped in to someone I knew, so I stayed up at the back of the stand - from which you actually get a really good view - and watched the competition, and had a good old chat.  It was nice to have some (unexpected) company!

The evening session consisted of:
Women's Heptathlon Javelin
Men's High Jump Final - Derek Drouin (Canada)
Men's Long Jump Final - Greg Rutherford
Women's 3000m Steeplechase Final
Women's Heptathlon 800m - Brianne Theisen-Eaton (Canada)
Women's Javelin Final
Men's 400m Final
Women's Shot Put Final
Men's 800m Semi-Final
Woman's 200m Round 1

Below is the video I took of the Canadian National Anthem during James Steacy's medal ceremony which also took place in the evening session, despite being completed the previous day.



The 31st was a funnn shift.  It was the Canadian clothing sale!!  At first the trickle of customers was slow, however I got to chat to medalist Jim Paton!  After a short while, we were informed that volunteers were allowed to purchase things as well as the athletes and that is when things started to get busy.  The rest of the Canadian Clyde-Siders and I were first to make our purchases.  I got a hoody, opening ceremony jacket and a couple of t-shirts.

Taken after a late shift!

I also did some shopping for Hannah!  News spreads fast, and when I returned from lunch, the small clothing room was FULL of people!  So much so that we had to start a queue outside!  Hannah came to visit, and then Ben said he was on his way over.  After I gave him directions, I got the funniest messages  of the day:
"I'm here I'm here!" followed quickly by: "No I'm not, I took the wrong turn!"
Im pleased to report that shortly after these messages, Ben arrived and joined the queue, although he wasn't successful in the clothing sale, as there was not much left by the time he arrived!

Hannah was on late shift, so I got the train back - luckily I didn't need to carry my clothes with me, Hannah kindly took them as she had her car.  It was so busy, and I ended up tripping up the stairs at Argyle St Station - OOPS, embarrassing!

There was not too much to do on the 1st August.  I ended up going on the grocery shop with Suzie.  We had to try and find gluten free, dairy free rice cakes which are very difficult to find.  We ended up going to Sainsburys, Aldi, Poundland, Asda and we even phoned up another Poundland to see if they had them in stock!  Alas, we had no luck so had to get on with getting the rest of the shopping.  On the way back I had to pop in to Tesco to get the rest of the shopping, which consisted of 3 cartons of chocolate soya milk, and 4 cartons of normal chocolate milk!

Chocolate Milk!
I must have looked like I really like chocolate milk!!

On the 2nd, I went to the Australian clothing sale (their second sale!).  I was rather successful, and got a tshirt and two pairs of sliders... I LOVE sliders!  I also traded a couple of pin badges today, in return I got a Caymen Island pin badge and a British Virgin Island pin badge!

Australian clothing sale purchases (and pin badges!)
Wall of Fame in the Athlete's Lounge.
Wall of Fame in the Athlete's Lounge.
 I shall end this post with a picture of Clyde looking very happy relaxing in the Athlete's Lounge!


Part One -      - Part Two -      - Part Three -      - Part Four -      - Part Five -      - Part Six -
Part Seven -      - Part Eight -      - Part Nine -      - Part Ten -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018.

Nailsxo World Cup Nails 2014 - Nigeria