Saturday, 30 January 2016

, ,

Australian Open 2016 - #BackTheBrits - Update


Following on from my previous Australian Open post, I thought I'd do a little update.

Sadly Johanna Konta didn't progress to the Women's Final, however, she put up a really good fight, and lost to the eventual winner Angelique Kerber - who triumphed over Serena Williams to take her first Grand Slam title. I listened to the latter part of the Final, and Kerber seemed to be playing very well.

Gordon Reid won his Men's Wheelchair Singles Semi-Final, and progressed to the Final where he met Joachim Gerard. He took the title 7-6 (9-7) 6-4, so well played Gordon!
Gordon also reached the Men's Wheelchair Double's Final, where he was partnered with Shingo Kunieda. Their opponents were Stephane Houdet and Nicolas Peifer, and although Reid/Kunieda were leading 5-0 in the deciding set, Houdet/Peifer were the eventual winners.

Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares came through their Men's Doubles Semi-Final 6-3 6-1 to set up a meeting with Daniel Nestor and Radek Stepanek (who have a combined aged of 80!). In a tough match, Murray and Soares were eventually victorious, winning 2-6 6-4 7-5.
Check out Jamie Murray's emotional winning speech HERE.

And now it's Andy Murray's turn! He will be taking on favourite Novak Djokovic, after beating Milos Raonic in his Semi-Final 4-6, 7-5, 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-2. Murray & Roanic were 2 sets each coming in to the final set, however, with Raonic struggling with a groin injury from the latter stages of the fourth set, Murray ended up winning the fifth easily.
The Final will be on around 8am Sunday Morning (Sunday Night in Australia).

#BackTheBrits #CmonAndy!

Picture: I was lucky enough to win an Adidas competition when Murray was playing in Wimbledon in 2013 (the year he won), and I won a signed shirt and an #AllinforMurray t-shirt!

And this is a t-shirt I bought off Judy Murray in 2011.  It's now framed and up in my room.


Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and I appreciate every single one ♥