Sunday, 16 February 2014

, , , , , , , , , , ,

Topic 4 - High End v High Street - 2014BloggerChallenge

I don't really buy high end stuff:

1. Because I don't have a big budget (hopefully someone will employ me soon!).
2. I can always find what I want for good value (and sometimes exceptional value), so why should I pay for something I can't afford that does the same thing?
3. I LOVE a bargain.
Agree or disagree, I don't really mind.  Each to their own - everyone has their own preferences and budgets. Hey, if I could afford high end, maybe I would splash the cash a little more often.

So, I'm going to show you a few things that I've found for a good price, that does its job and a few bargains that I have found.


Vest tops: £2.50 - I think, it's been a little while since I went in as my local shop is over 1hour away - (Primark)
Available in many different colours, these are thick enough, stretchy, have adjustable straps and my favourite thing on a best top - long. They fit nice and snug without making you feel claustrophobic too haha - although I guess that depends on if you go for one size or the bigger size. They seem to last me just as long as other vest tops I have too. I'd prefer to have 4 of these in different colours, than one £10 vest top - more choice, less washing...

I also have a pink one and multiple white & black ones!


Nail polish: £1 (Poundland)
These JESS polishes can be found in my haul post here. The only thing I don't like about these polishes is the smell, but I can live with that! At £1 you can afford to get 4-10 different polishes compared to prices of some other polishes. The fact that I have a fairly large selection of polishes (nearing 300 bottles) means I have more colour choice, especially when it comes to nail art, plus if I spend only £1 on a bottle then I don't feel bad if I don't use it often.




Nail Polish: £2.99 (B&M)
A review I did of this set can be found here. They are really pretty pastel shades, they go on smooth, are good to go in two coats and don't smell bad.


Here's what they look like on nails (I also used a white striping polish) -


Nail Art Pens & Gems: £1 (Poundland)
These are great! There are a good selection of colours, and it's cute that they come with a good quantity of gems. I wouldn't use all of the combinations together, for example I wouldn't really use the purple gems with blue detail or pink with red, but that doesn't matter! They don't smell bad and they go on pretty smoothly.


I used the red one for this look -
And this one also -

Hair Mask - 99p (B&M)
I have quite recently finished off a tub of Sheer Blonde Conditioning Treatment (£5.99) which was great and did its job. When looking to see if there was a different hair treatment to buy I found this Argan Oil Hydrating Hair Mask. It was 99p in B&M, and I was a little dubious and thought it might just make my hair greasy, however, at 99p if I only used it once it wouldn't be a big disaster. I was proved wrong, it's great. It does what it says and smells quite nice. I'm very impressed by it.


Polishes I have found in Poundland:
Revlon, Rimmel, Sally Hansen, Maybelline, Collection 2000 (3 of the same colour for £1!).
These aren't always the latest colours, but I'm not one to buy all the latest trends anyway, I buy the colours I like or think will be useful in nail art. They are perfectly good brand name bottles of polish for a fraction of their usual selling price.




So that whole haul above - 8 polishes - cost £6. If I'd have purchased them in Boots, Superdrug etc it would have cost me a LOT more considering these selling prices: Collection 2000 - £1.99, Revlon Top Speed - £6.49, Revlon Chroma - £6.49. (I can't find a Revlon Colorstay of the same colour online anywhere but normal Colorstay polish seems to be £7.99!) So including that, the above haul should have cost around £39.92 - a saving of £33.92 compared to the £6 actually spent!!

Polishes in B&M:
Rimmel, Revlon - £1

Polishes from TK Maxx:
Cynthia Rowley - £3.99 (2), £4.99 (3)
Cherimoya - (5) I can't remember how much, but I definitely know I considered them a bargain and the colours are lovely!
China Glaze - £3.99

Another place great for beauty bargains, especially nail polish is Fragrance Direct.
An example of what you can find on there: NYC 75p, Maybelline MNY 75p, Technic 85p, Rimmel 60seconds 99p, Revlon 99p, Calvin Klein £1.99, Essie £2.50, OPI £2.99, Orly £3.99.
Share:

6 comments:

  1. I'm really impressed with the quality of those nail varnishes and pens from Poundland!! I'll have a look for those next time I go in! Thank you :)

    Cathy x
    http://whiskshooksandbooks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd recommend them 100% (minus the smell!!).
      Thanks for commenting :) x

      Delete
  2. I have quite a Jess (Poundland) collection - their glitters are great. I also have a huge stash of discounted Revlon and Sally Hansen polishes :D Gotta love bargain hunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only had a few colours when I went in, but I'm hoping if I keep popping in they may get different stock in. I love finding colours that I don't have, it feeds my addiction without sending me into debt haha! :)

      Delete
  3. i love looking in poundland - they normally always do nail polishes from brands you'd find in boots!

    Lucy | Make Up Your Mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love it when I find new polishes that I haven't got in there. And then I love it even more when I think about all the money I am saving haha :) x

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and I appreciate every single one ♥