Wednesday, 1 January 2014

, , , , ,

Topic 1 - New Year's Inspiration - 2014BloggerChallenge

Here is my first post in the 2014 Blogger Challenge. This post explains what it is all about. 

The topic for the first post of the #2014BloggerChallenge is going to be "New Years Inspiration" - the idea is that instead of writing new years resolutions on your blog you share a quote or a picture that inspires you and you think will inspire others in the New Year.
I'm a person who hates making decisions, and I see this prompt as something in which a decision needs to be made... Does that even make sense? Anyway, Happy New Year, I hope my post doesn't bore you too much!
I volunteered at a few events, mostly in 2012 & 2013 (if you are interested and find out more about my experiences, a list of my posts can be found here). The events I volunteered at were mostly sporting events, as sport is a big passion of mine. I have some more volunteering coming up in 2014 - The Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games, which is really exciting - and I can really relate to these quotes (3, I couldn't pick just one!) and maybe they'll inspire some of you to consider volunteering...
.......................

“How can I be useful, of what service can I be? There is something inside me, what can it be?” - Unknown
When I read this quote, I figured that this is exactly what goes on in my head sometimes.  Right now I have no job and feel a little bit like I'm just stuck, wanting to move forward.  All I have known is education, so now after completing University and then college (wrong way round I know), it's rather scary, daunting and disheartening, looking for jobs, and knowing that although I may well be able to do a job, I don't have much experience which is what most employers are looking for right now.  However, reading this quote reminded me that, yes, there is something inside of me, as I have proven to myself with the things I have achieved through my volunteering, and if I can only try and believe in myself a bit more, then I will be happier and feel more positive about trying to move forward, and if I keep going then I will be able to get a job eventually, and piece by piece the next chapter of my life will unfold.

These next two quotes are more aimed at inspiring other people to volunteer.

“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” 
“Consciously or unconsciously, every one of us does render some service or other. If we cultivate the habit of doing this service deliberately, our desire for service will steadily grow stronger, and will make, not only our own happiness, but that of the world at large.”
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (1869-1948);
Indian Political And Spiritual Leader

Some of my best experiences have come from volunteering.


My first volunteering duties as a Clyde-Sider - a media day in Glasgow (I'm on the left).
From the amazing experiences I had in the training and orientation sessions in the build up to the London Olympic Games, I well and truly caught the volunteering bug - which is quite ironic really, as I had originally applied for a paid role. They say things happen for a reason, huh? This certainly was one of the best things to happen to me. I ended up volunteering at a CBBC event and a CBeebies event in the run up to when my Games Time role was. I wont go into detail about my experiences as I've already blogged about it, but it was an extraordinary experience to say the least.

It gave me confidence in myself and I met some great people along the way.  You never know where opportunities lie, and through some of these people I have been introduced to more volunteering roles and each time I volunteer at an event, I feel myself come out of my shell and my confidence improves greatly.  I feel like a completely different person - someone with no doubts (after I have a grasp of the role I am undertaking!) about my ability.
I feel a great sense of pride when I look back and think of some of the things I have achieved through volunteering.  I played a little tiny part in the successful Olympic Games - only a tiny part, but all those tiny parts joined up to make one huge event possible.
I have also discovered that I get a lot of satisfaction out of helping people, which I try to do when I can.  I know that if I need help, I am truly grateful if someone offers me a helping hand.

So all in all:
  • If you are considering applying to volunteer at an event, DO IT, you won't regret it!
  • If you have never considered volunteering before - you never know - it could be something that could benefit you in some way or another, while at the same time you are also helping someone/being a small part of helping an event succeed.

Volunteering comes in all shapes and forms, and helping others in any way could be seen as volunteering, as you are giving some of you own time - no matter how short - to helping someone else! So... give volunteering/lending a helping hand a go, you may well change your own life, at the same time as helping to change the life of someone else.

Anyway, this has been a bit of a ramble, sorry!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, well done for making it to the end of one of my ramblings... I will try and read as many posts as I can.  Here's to 2014 and the rest of the Blogger Challenge!

Some pictures from my Olympic Experience
Emma x

[I found the quotes here.   Is that lazy of me? Oops, well I HAVE been deliberating for a while over what part of my life and goals of 2014 I should use for this blog post - yet another decision haha.]
Share:

3 comments:

  1. In the long run, volunteering will do such a lot more for you than getting a job. I'm not saying don't get a job, but it's not the beal all and end all!! You've defiantly inspired me.
    I wrote my post today, was quick tricky and I found it hard but I'm looking forward to the rest of the challenge :-)

    www.daisydaisyxxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean :) of course when I get a job, I will still continue to do volunteering also, in fact, having an income will actually help me to do more volunteering :) i've certainly gained a lot from volunteering!

      I loved your quote :)

      Delete
  2. I have tagged you for the Liebster award, go check out my blog for your questions!
    dellalovesnutella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and I appreciate every single one ♥