Saturday, 25 January 2014

, , , , , , , , ,

Animal/Wildlife - SLN Charity NailArt Challenge!

Dawn over at SassyLittleNails has come up with a great challenge.  It is called the SassyLittleNails Monthly Charity Nail Art Challenge!  I suggest you take a little look.  It's a brilliant and fun way of raising awareness of different charities.  There will be a different theme each month, and you can do as many manicures as you like each month.  Also, you can participate in as many or as few months as you like.

Here is a run down of all the months and the themes:

facebookgroup
Picture from SassyLittleNails
The charity I have chosen to do my first manicure in this challenge for is called 'Nowzad'.  I was introduced to this charity by Jamie.  This is taken from the Nowzad Website:
Kilo Company of 42 Commando Royal Marines arrived in the war torn town of Now Zad in Helmand Province of Afghanistan in November 2006. Their mission; provide stability for the local people during a period of ever decreasing security.
The Royal Marines soon realised that it wasn’t only the local people that needed their help. Many of the stray dogs that roamed the town of Now Zad now had a guardian for the first time in their lives; in the form of Royal Marine Sergeant ‘Pen’ Farthing.
Breaking up an organised dog fight that was taking place right outside their remote compound, Pen never realised that one of those fighting dogs would then befriend him. The Royal Marine couldn’t say no to those big sad eyes and the now very former fighting dog became the Royal Marines four legged buddy and got a name – “Nowzad”.
- See more at: http://www.nowzad.com/about/#sthash.i7YsKy0m.dpuf
Pen Farthing then set up the charity Nowzad with the aim to help stray and abandoned animals in Afghanistan.
Many soldiers come across unwanted and stray animals.  As you can imagine, these animals are usually extremely scared and many are injured.  Usually the soldiers form a great bond with these animals.  The animals often keep the soldiers company during their tough tours of duty, providing them with much comfort and love.  During this time the soldiers get attached to these animals, and through donations from the public, the animals can go home with the soldiers who found them, or be sent to a new loving home where they will be free from war and safe.  The animals themselves are a sort of therapy for the soldiers on their return home, helping them adjust back to life at home as they feel they have been through the tough times together.  The charity now also helps treat sick and injured animals who live in Afghanistan and promotes animal welfare there.
I think this is a fabulous charity as not only does it help the soldiers, it helps the animals too.  People are quick to realise that humans are affected by war, but sadly the animals are usually the forgotten victims.
Take a look at their website for a clearer explanation. It can be found here


So now for the nail art.  I'm not as talented as Dawn at freehand, so I kept it fairly simple.  I have tried camouflage print once before and it didn't really turn out that great, so I thought this was a great chance to try it out again.  I think it turned out okay!  Definitely better than last time anyway.



I then added a paw print - I forgot how tricky I find them haha!  I mucked up doing little ones so opted for a big one!



I also added a matte topcoat.

Thanks for reading, thanks to Dawn for setting up this challenge and please spread the word about Nowzad.

Share:

4 comments:

  1. Emma This is a wonderful charity I never heard of before so you truly are raising awareness for these poor abandoned animals in Afghanistan.
    I want to truly thank you for your taking part and what a fabulous Nail art! I love the camouflage!
    great choice of colours too well done :) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thank you Dawn! :)
      There are so many animal charities that I know of that I wanted to do nail art for, but I just haven't had time, so I picked this one as I thought it was the most unknown one of the ones I wanted to do! :) I'm so happy that my camo worked out this time aha! Xx

      Delete
  2. Aww I think you did a great job with your nail art, you gotta give yourself more credit! These are cute :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and I appreciate every single one ♥